Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Bheegi Bheegi....

It rained here in Penn State. Damn – I hate the rain. Why on earth does anyone like the rain??? Messy streets, stinking trash cans, flooded roads juz to mention a few of the added ‘advantages’.

Here is an extract from a mail one of my friends sent me, following which is my reply to her. I’ve reproduced it without her permission. :-)

A Monday afternoon today. It was raining. I was looking out of the window in my room, couldn't get wet today as I have a test tomorrow. And have lots to study. So just wrote this up. I just can't seem to resist the rains..

That familiar smell, I jump out of the chair. And run to the window...'the rain..!' A hot murky Monday afternoon suddenly overwhelmed by the powerful prowess of thick dark clouds. The leaves look up with outstretched hands and parched brown faces. And sway wildly, moved by the unharnessed breeze. Sway in their happiness in anticipation of Nature's most benevolent form. The rain. The green undergrowth also looks tired, eagerly awaiting the shower..

The sky rumbles.. once, twice.. then a loud proclamation of the power to be unleashed.. Then a drop, then another.. and then long sparkling silk in unending lines. The leaves are wildly happy, the trees sway rigidly, acknowledging in their own way.. Little streamlets here and there.. join and form a small, crooked stream
Tiny puddles reflecting the fluorescing green of the freshened leaves and the wet paint of the man-made structures; They, also washed clear of the monotony surrounding them.. People peeping out from their windows at first, rush out after some time. Eagerly welcoming the change in Nature. And letting the slight spray of the shower refresh them bodily and inwardly..

The rain lashes on.. light , then heavy, then heavier It seems to go on, determined to wash away all it can and create a fresh day. Bent on it's resolve to reiterate Nature's infinite wisdom which man sometimes chooses to overlook.. But then it steadily and slowly ceases.. it goes away as elegantly as it came..

Everything is fresher; trees, leaves, shrubs, walls, minds.. Life must move on..


And here’s my reply. Any resemblance to the previous mail is totally unavoidable and purely coincidental.

The familiar stench of rotten garbage from the nearest trash can due to the soggy water. I faint in my chair. And run to the window - obviously to close it down. Can't bear the stench!! A hot murky afternoon suddenly overwhelmed by the powerful prowess of thick dark murky frightening clouds..

The leaves look up with outstretched hands and parched brown faces - Oh no not again. Why do we have to fly away from our brothers to land up in some far away land. Ye Mohabattein ke patte hain.. kkkkiran.

And sway wildly, moved by the violent breeze.. sway in their all sadness that they will soon have to depart. The green grass undergrowth which already looks tired can bear it anymore. Why not get trampled by a herd of cows rather than get soaked in this menacing rain.

The sky rumbles.. once, twice. Its just unbearable. Then a loud proclamation of the power is to be unleashed. Why does He have to shout at the top of His voice to proclaim his supreme power when half of humanity has already accepted His greatness.

Then a drop, then another. Then it pours. Pours pours and pours leaving behind homeless families, stranded passengers, grounded planes, broken nests, helpless children, flooded streets, stinking trash cans. Its filthy and dirty everywhere. It makes you wonder why ppl love the rain when it comes down with such a fury....

Everyone is sad, dull and morose. But as it is rightly said Life must move on.... Really sad... LOL.
Obviously my friend was very much pleased with my reply. Spoiled her rainy mood!!! :-)

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am surprised ajun RU chi comment kashi nahi ali kahi!!!!

Wednesday, April 20, 2005 1:45:00 PM  
Blogger Prakash said...

Did i something wrong??? If so, please forgive me, consu... ;)

Wednesday, April 20, 2005 2:42:00 PM  
Blogger rujuta said...

Clientu,
you poor soul! is what i wish to say..hating rains!!!!!!you dont even know what fun you miss!
but rains in the Us are no fun...no mud ,no puddles, no potholes! i miss punyache pavsalyatle raste:)
rujuta
sir:whats surprising in that?

Wednesday, April 20, 2005 8:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nothing surprising.. exactly the comment i expected from you.. but it was not there earlier so i was surprised.

Thursday, April 21, 2005 12:27:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what post deleted! have you started having illusions?
rujuta

Friday, April 22, 2005 6:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prakash..
i just had to guess something like this was coming up..yeah,i was pleased but not because it spoiled my rainy mood,but because i could inspire poetry out of you;-)

take care..
smiles and sunshine..

Saturday, April 23, 2005 2:20:00 PM  
Blogger Prakash said...

Gosh amrita.. Never expected u here :-( I'm done for... ;)
hope we still stick to that deal.

Sunday, April 24, 2005 9:35:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rain... i like it a lot.. and would like to get drenched whenever it rains ..
yes.. i know it is kiddish for a 26 years old guy to be happy in getting wet in rain..but i still like it..
when it rains the kid in me wakes up.. except when i am in office...surely i would go out in rain...infact i like the thunders and lightning...

Saturday, April 30, 2005 4:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gawd.......I'd never expected to find a friend who hated rains. Now I can proudly say that I am one of the clan too. I am an extremely outdoorsy person and I absolutely hate the fact that rains keep me from the place I want to be. OUTSIDE!!!!
Anyways, am linking to your blog from mine. Do visit when you have some time out of your busy schedule ;)
I am parked at http://seymourprivates.clearphp.com

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 3:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And BTW why is the anonymous person two comments up calling you a 26-yr old?

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 3:14:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr Anup, 26 year old guy is not prakash, it is me.

Friday, May 06, 2005 12:33:00 AM  
Blogger Aniket said...

i wudn't mind an update!!!

n now plz dont post the same msg on my blog, me too busy wid my work :)

Friday, May 06, 2005 2:38:00 AM  
Blogger Bhavna said...

I dont mind rain. But I can't stand 2-day old snow all piled up and having nowhere to go, rendering the sidewalks unwalkable and very very skiddable.

Saturday, May 14, 2005 1:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home