Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Knowing Gandhi

I was never a fan of Gandhi!! In fact I proclaimed myself as being anti-Gandhian and somehow took pride in it. My maternal grandfather is a true Gandhian. He still lives his life the Gandhian way. We always had conflicting views on that subject. And that was something I could never digest for I always looked up to my grandfather. Commercial cinema and various history books which I had managed to gather, generally held anti-Gandhian political views which I took as authority!!!

What I possibly failed to do was myself research on the subject. Half-baked knowledge is truly dangerous, but I would say, more importantly its stupid. I realized my folly. I decided to know more about the person, whom the world held in awe, while many of us as Indians always criticize and abuse.

I kicked off by reading his autobiography "The Story of My Experiments with Truth", which I thought would be a good starting point. Although I haven't even read half the book, I believe that only a person supremely divine could accept his greatest follies. Some of the incidences he mentions is really shocking, as though it was unreal. I won't quote extracts here, and curb your curiosity, for I really encourage every reader of this blog to read this book. His political views might have been unpopular, his links with the Nehru family might have been controversial, his path of non-violence might have been ridiculed, in the quest of Indian independence he may have faltered - but as a human being he was above all. He was supremely divine. I was really moved and shaken. Today, I feel stupid for having lived under a rock for so many years - such ignorance on my part.

An interesting incident took place during my flight from Boston last month. I was seated at the end of the plane. I was so engrossed in this book that I failed to realize the air-hostess, who was an African-American woman, came back and sat next to me. I looked up and smiled, when she asked me "Is that Gandhi?" I replied in the affirmative. She said, "Martin Luther King was heavily influenced by Gandhi and his non-violence movement. He surely must have been a great man for he changed our world. You Indians must be really proud of him." I didn't know what to tell her. I felt ashamed. Being an Indian, I didn't know half the facts about Gandhi. My quest to 'know Gandhi' continued. Each incidence seems to embolden my respect for him! Each chapter unfolds his divinity!!

I end my blog using Einstein's own words on Gandhi - "Generations to come will find it hard to believe that such a one as this ever in flesh and blood walked upon this earth."



P.S. I do not intend to express any political views on Gandhi and I do not wish to get any political comments, too. I have started to admire Gandhi and hence the blog. If it hurts your sentiments, you would be better off not posting a comment!!!