Antenna Day again!!!
Well it was those exciting days, I used to look forward back in India. The Antenna Days!!! Never expected that I would have the same here in Penn State too.
As a part of the semester project in the Antenna Engineering course, Jackie and I were expected to simulate a Short Backfire Antenna for the GHz range. But, I got a ‘weird’ idea that we could indeed build the antenna. And it juz worked out. Like all Antenna days, this one too was scheduled on a Sunday. And believe it or not, using household items like cake tins and sheets we managed to build the antenna in a day ‘n got it tested in the anechoic chamber on the next.
And the workshop around here. Oh my God!! Its awesome. I juz thought that if we had the same facilities back in India for the Yagi and log-periodic, things would have been so much simpler. Back in India, getting a pipe turned was a big adventure for the lack of facilities. Here you can almost have the ‘world of workshop’ under one roof. You must see to believe the stuff ‘n tools they have around here.
Neways, The Short Backfire Antenna (SBFA) turned out to be a cute-looking, practically no-cost, robust, portable antenna. I will upload the snaps tomorrow. I gave the presentation yesterday and it went off smooth.
But, I remembered all those exciting days on the antenna terraces… L Gone are those days.
As a part of the semester project in the Antenna Engineering course, Jackie and I were expected to simulate a Short Backfire Antenna for the GHz range. But, I got a ‘weird’ idea that we could indeed build the antenna. And it juz worked out. Like all Antenna days, this one too was scheduled on a Sunday. And believe it or not, using household items like cake tins and sheets we managed to build the antenna in a day ‘n got it tested in the anechoic chamber on the next.
And the workshop around here. Oh my God!! Its awesome. I juz thought that if we had the same facilities back in India for the Yagi and log-periodic, things would have been so much simpler. Back in India, getting a pipe turned was a big adventure for the lack of facilities. Here you can almost have the ‘world of workshop’ under one roof. You must see to believe the stuff ‘n tools they have around here.
Neways, The Short Backfire Antenna (SBFA) turned out to be a cute-looking, practically no-cost, robust, portable antenna. I will upload the snaps tomorrow. I gave the presentation yesterday and it went off smooth.
But, I remembered all those exciting days on the antenna terraces… L Gone are those days.

5 Comments:
I can remember the Pipe turning thing too..and I hope you didnt break the (traffic) rules as we did back in India on that day. No one of us can forget those antenna days.
Anyway its good that you found something to do which you enjoy doing most.
Hey Dumbo,
Gone are the days wagaire kahi nahi!!!!
And just exciting is an understatemnt for those days dumbo!
The terrace, the heat, the lack of facilities, the people, the brainwaves, the chaitanya food, the idiotically stained clothes, gharache awaz!! Everything was instrumental in making it as great and fresh in my mind as it is now!! :-)
Speak to you tonight,
Mads
Awesome mula...
do people there know..that you and antenna go along way back!
sahi!!mala pan antenna bandhaychiye :(..pan it has to involve climbing towers, long scorching days on gacchi which has an amazing entrance!:)...yagi and log periodic would not have been as much fun with a techno workshop you see!
and who is this jackie chan btw?
consu.
Oh well!! On second thoughts i too agree that Yagi 'n Telerana would not have been as much fun with the lack of facilities.. :-) Sometimes not having everything is a boon indeed.. :-)
Well I don't know whether I mentioned Jackie (not chan) is a software engineer. She has interest in antennas and a great colleague.. :-) Its was a real great experience working with her...
Cheers,
-Prak
Hi Schol!
So you are doing Prakesh 'giri' there also !! Keep it up!
Neeti
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home